Walmart (I’ve shopped there and I’m meh about my personal experience) and Dick’s Sporting Goods (I’ve bought a hoodie from their online portal and found the experience to be excellent) have raised the minimum age to purchase guns at their stores from 18 to 21.
Whoop de fucking doo.
This is not enough and I’m not even sure it’s moral or at least not fair.
Where are law-abiding, sane 18 to 20-year-olds going to go now to exercise their god-given (given by the NRA) 2nd amendment rights?
I’ve got a few suggestions to help them out.
1.Friends and family! The Sandy Hook dude got his guns from his mom without her knowledge.
2. There’s also the gun show loophole. I’m all for as many regulations as possible. “ Approximately 5,000 gun shows occur annually in the United States.”
3. The Las Vegas shooter should have been stopped but apparently, there was a failure in the current gun check system regarding communication between relevant agencies. You can always count on incompetent (or intentional) government policies.
4. “There are a total of 129,817 gun dealers in the country, which include retail stores (51,438), “collectors” (61,562), pawnshops (7,356), and importers and manufacturers.”
5. Today, 19 children will die or receive emergency treatment for a gunshot wound in the U.S. And tomorrow, another 19 will. And then another 19 the next day. In fact, 91% of all children who die from firearms in high-income countries across the world come from the United States, and guns are the third leading cause of death for all children between ages 1 and 17. Those are a handful of the sobering statistics reported in a new study on gun violence in Pediatrics. (June 19, 2017 article from Forbes – you know that crazy liberal publication). So you know, see if you can buy from some gun-owning parents whose kid just got shot. They probably don’t want to hold on to the gun so much anymore.
6. If you’ve got severe mental health issues and wanna be strapped, don’t sweat it. President Asshole Trump signed a law that makes it EASIER for us mentally ill people to arm ourselves!
7. “ If you want to get a rough idea of how many guns there are out there just look at how many people you see out there then multiply by a factor of estimated ownership. The last best guess was about 350,000,000 Total. That would be 1 weapon for every man woman and child. The average gun enthusiast owns several firearms which include pistols, shotguns, and rifles of all makes and models. It is often estimated that about 1 in 4 people own any firearms and on average firearms owners own 4 guns each…There is no definitive answer because most states don’t require registration.” [You can probably just fucking happen on a gun with those numbers! You’re gonna think I’m an asshole (and I am) but I smile every time I read or hear about an adult gun owner accidentally shooting themselves or some other adult. I would subscribe to a Tumblr that exclusively listed those occurrences. Shit I think I’m going to start it.]
I’m happy to provide links to back these up if anyone is actually reading this and cares to know.
I’d prefer if we tried to address one of the aforementioned facts. I don’t even get why these retailers are doing this. If I had to bet, I would bet that the surveyed population of their customers were pro-gun rights. They’re effectively alienating their customer base. Personally, I’m all for alienating those Assholes. But I’m not running these companies. If it’s gonna hurt their bottom line why are they doing it? Is it out of a sense of morality?
Sorry – hold on – I have to stop laughing for a minute before I can continue. If you need a list of Walmart’s immoral practices I am happy to provide it. I really don’t know if Dick’s is shady so I’m letting them pass on that point.
It would be cool if the resistance went after the more meaningful gun sources/dynamics in my facts list.
I also think if you are eligible to get killed fighting some bullshit proxy war for rich Assholes for your fucked up country at age 18, then I think you SHOULD be able to chain smoke, get drunk on peach schnapps and buy a gun, too (provided you pass ALL the existing regulations and hopefully a ton more that won’t get passed while the NRA still has its hand up the GOP’s collective ass in a puppet show that has resulted in more ore public mass shootings in America than in any other country in the world.). Fuck, you should be able to get high too, even if it’s not Friday.
I hope you gun lovers have a real shitty day!